Hackerman

By Anonymous - 19/10/2013 20:55 - United States - Pleasanton

Today, my brother sent me an image by Skype, saying I really had to see it. I figured it was some kind of stupid joke, but I tried to look anyway. It wouldn't open. Turns out he thought he could just rename the ".exe" on a virus to ".jpg" and it would still run. My brother's a cretin. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 534
You deserved it 3 981

Same thing different taste

Top comments

tsent8 15

If only the rest of the people who made viruses were as stupid as him.

A cretin? Isn't that what you call people from Crete? So if people leave Crete, does that make them excretions?

Comments

\ 28

Your brother is either incredibly stupid, or a master of social engineering.

\ 28

I don't quite get what happened in this FML... Did OP's brother try to "fix" the file to make it open by changing the extension name to a JPEG from an EXE, or did he craft some sort of virus/trojan and rename it to fool OP and compromise his computer? The former makes him an idiot, the latter makes him clever.

I think he ended up being the fool. Not clever.

Snide_Sniper 3

Actually 17, I'm sure that OP's brother tried to be clever by renaming the virus to a jpg. But instead was a fool, because he didn't craft it in anyway. So OP has an unopenable jpg, that was supposed to be a virus.

They change the virus from a .exe to a picture to disguise it. His brother thought you could just rename it to .jpg and it would work; which it obviously doesn't. This virus is called a RAT (remote administration tool) or better known as a trojan, and to simply answer your question, the guy is very ignorant / an idiot. There is your daily hacking lesson!

tsent8 15

If only the rest of the people who made viruses were as stupid as him.

Well hey, at least you don't have a computer virus

Not necessarily true. A lot of viruses have false file signatures such as .pdf or .jpg when they are really executable. They appear to do nothing when you click on them, but are actually silently infecting your computer.

*extension, not signature. I'm half asleep.

Google "How hackers disguise malicious programs with fake file extensions" if you don't believe me. OP, are you sure your brother isn't better with computers than you think?

Jaaared_ 15

#44 it's not a hard process. It's as simple as spoofing an extension or simply binding the .exe to something like a .jpeg, and encrypting it so its FUD.

A cretin? Isn't that what you call people from Crete? So if people leave Crete, does that make them excretions?

Cretin - a stupid person Cretan - a person from Crete

Pwn17 25

8- How do you know how hard you should have laughed?

I WAS TRYING TO MAKE A FUNNY OKAY?! -hides in the corner weeping-

\ 28

Down Syndrome used to also be derisively termed "Mongolism" until doctors realized they were being both racist AND impolite... I guess its time for "Cretin" to follow suit

tsent8 15

Then I guess you would be an excretain #10. Good job mr.buzzkill.

JMichael 25

13- *rubs back* it's ok. Don't cry. I thought you were funny.

Rainhawk94 27

The demonym for Crete is Cretan. Cretin is an outdated, ableist term referring to people with intellectual disabilities. In contemporary usage by laypeople, it's a more socially acceptable way to refer to people as "retarded," which is considered an ableist slur.

64- yes in contemporary usage it has become a type of ableism. But if you insist on getting technical it is in actual fact a legitimate medical condition referring to congenital hypothyroidism which is the route cause of the severe developmental and mental deficiencies characteristic of a 'cretin'. I think I shall go back to eating my breakfast now, live long and prosper

monnanon 13

never heard of cretin referring to someone with a mental disability. it was seemed to me to mean someonr malicious and nasty.

CRETIN (n.) Look up cretin at etymonline.com 1779, from French crétin (18c.), from Alpine dialect crestin, "a dwarfed and deformed idiot" of a type formerly found in families in the Alpine lands, a condition caused by a congenital deficiency of thyroid hormones, from Vulgar Latin *christianus "a Christian," a generic term for "anyone," but often with a sense of "poor fellow." Related: Cretinism (1801). Where's the racism?

@77 take a serious, mix in a little bit of wacky add a dash of irony, heat and serve ....will make up to 4 servings

Yeah, language changes. Technical terms move into common useage as insults, and get withdrawn from technical use as the limitations of the labels are realised.

The racism would be in the use of the term mongol or mongoloid for people with Down syndrome, based on the similarity of their facial features to those of people with East Asian ancestry.

Everything's just gotta be racist and have the chance of offending somebody

Bigfabthetruth52 22

A primitive dumbass, i thought of that without having to go look up an extensive definition.

evan_7899 28

Sounds like something the dunce brother might open, reanme the file fluffycatlolz.exe and watch as his computer dies off. Then he might think twice of sending viruses in the future

Send it back to him with the right format. The idiot will open it

So why the hell is your brother trying to infect your comp with a virus?

That's what I thought! I don't see the fml here....

For the same reason dogs try to wear shoes of course. One should always strive to defy one's mental limitations. It is the human and canine condition I guess