News to me

By annoyed - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States - Houston

Today, my mother texted me that she was in labor. She never told me she was pregnant. Apparently she's engaged too. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 770
You deserved it 2 452

Top comments

That sucks, that sort of news should be delivered face to face! Hope you can rebuild a relationship for the sake of your new sibling!

Comments

That sucks, that sort of news should be delivered face to face! Hope you can rebuild a relationship for the sake of your new sibling!

I'm guessing OP is old enough to not live at home. So probably 19-20. So the sibling probably won't matter anyways to OP.

That's not very true. I don't live at home but I have three younger siblings who still do and I make an effort to be a part of their lives. Two of those have been born since I left and I'm just as much their sister as I am to the ones I grew up with.

I agree with 11. I'm 17 and my youngest brother is 1. When I leave I plan on visiting as much as possible and even having my siblings over for a weekend.

Wow 10, even if she wasnt close to the younger sibling, I would hope the sibling would still MATTER to OP. All of my extended family matters to me, even the ones im not close to.

Couldn't be too close to the family, pregnancy does show , couldn't have seen mom in months.

29 maybe they live in separate states. My boyfriends dad began fostered two kids and my boyfriend didn't know until a few months later and they're pretty close. The both of them are just pretty busy.

SApprentice 34

I'm sorry that had to happen to you. Maybe having a new baby in the family will help encourage better relations between the two of you. Good luck.

I remember being taught "you should tell your parents everything"... Apparently they don't have to tell you important things like they're pregnant or engaged or anything important like that...

habibiiiiiii 2

You can't blame the mother. Maybe their relationship is flawed because they don't take the time to actually talk to each other.

Via text? That's probably the worst possible way to give news that important. FYL, she should have at least told you sooner.

kellygirl83 11

Parents shouldn't text bad news. My dad felt it was okay to text my sister and I that our mother had run off to live with her girlfriend.

Guessing mom and OP are estranged, since OP didn't know about the pregnancy or engagement. Mom texting suggests OP may not take mom's calls, and mom wanted OP to do something quickly.

Um, I am wondering how OP didn't notice the baby bump during the pregnancy. And if it was because OP and their mum aren't close, OP doesn't have the right to be annoyed.

erikabt820 2

I totally agree with you! I was wondering why nobody was saying that!

It's very possible OP doesn't live with his mother.

Even if they saw each other every day, the mom could have hidden the pregnancy. Not as hard you might think.

If OP lives some distance away from the mother and hadn't seen her in several months (or fewer if the mother is sufficiently overweight), it'd be easy not to notice. When I was in junior high, a friend of mine's heavy mother gave birth without my ever having known she was pregnant -- and I'd seen her less than a week before the baby was born.

Omg, this isn't too bad as long as you aren't 20 and she is over 30...

Well, they probably are. Since OP is not seeing his/her mother from at least 4 month, chances are he/she lives on his/her own, so OP can't be underage... And the mother must be over 30 (I don't really want to think she had her first baby at 13). But I don't see the problem about their age, the only thing that makes me think is that they don't seem to talk/see each other.

OR OP lives with her dad.... And is still a teen....

You're arument is unvalid and unimportant...

Rebuild a relationship with your mom while you still have the chance. Life is too short.