By -_-" - 11/01/2014 23:13 - United States - Vestal

Today, I was getting ready for a night out with the girls, and without any hint of trickery, just wanting an honest answer, I asked my boyfriend how I looked in the dress I chose. He immediately dropped to his knees, yelled, "NOOOOOOOOO!" and calmly left the room. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 202
You deserved it 9 039

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The vast majority of men know that question to be a trap. Your boyfriend made the only escape he possibly could.

MichellinMan 20

I think the answer is clear. He thinks you look great.

Comments

He made the only right move, dramatic unexpected answer followed by a speechless exit of the immediate vicinity. Smart man.

incoherentrmblr 21

I'm guessing it means you look good, and that some other guy might take you home...

MichellinMan 20

I think the answer is clear. He thinks you look great.

I agree with you, 2, he could be screaming 'no' as in 'no, you look great and you'll be around other guys.' Just a guess...

I agree with 2. With "NOOOOOO" OP's boyfriend was only pointing out that men do not like questions like “Do I look good” or “Do I look fat”. This guy definitely knows how to navigate through the emotional landscape of females. I would keep him.

incoherentrmblr 21

Followed by *laughing track*

TallMist 32

Obi-Wan's "Nooooo!!!" in Phantom Menace, Qui-Gon's "Noooo!!!" in Attack of the Clones, Vader's "Noooooooo!!!" in Revenge of the Sith, Luke's "Noooooo!!!" and "Noooooo, nooooooo!!! Nooooo!!!!" in A New Hope and Empire Strikes back (respectfully), Luke's "NEVER!" and Vader's dubbed over "Noooooo!!!!" in Return of the Jedi.

The vast majority of men know that question to be a trap. Your boyfriend made the only escape he possibly could.

He made the smart choice. There is no way of getting out of that situation with no damage done, but he chose the safest route.

They don't KNOW it's a trap, they THINK it's a trap, but really, as with everything, it depends on the individual woman, and it seems obvious that it wasn't a trap when the OP was asking it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the women with whom it's a trap are a minority, it's just a stereotype that sexist male comedians like to force on us because they just love characterizing women as shallow, irrational, and insecure creatures. I'm pretty sure part of the FML is her boyfriend's misunderstanding of her. I would certainly be pissed if my boyfriend just assumed that I was insecure about things I wasn't insecure about based on gender stereotypes.

IKickPuppiesHard 16

Its also possible she could have trapped him with the question before and it became a boy who cried wolf scenario.

FinJage 18

The solution is to preemptively compliment her before she asks.

I bet you're one of the ones it's a trap with...

#85 Is that directed at me? I would only ask that sort of question of anyone with the implication of "is this outfit appropriate for the occasion? (in terms of level of formality, skimpiness, etc.)" and/or "are there any tags sticking out? Lint? Is it crooked?" That could very well be the intended implications of what the OP was asking. It's probably more often than not what women are thinking when they ask such questions. That's what it means when women ask each other such questions. The only reason it ends up being a trap is because it's a source of miscommunication which is precisely because men think it's a trap. If men would stop projecting their misconceptions about women in general onto individual women, there wouldn't be such potentially damaging miscommunication.

Whoa there,calm down buddy we're all friends here.

I think you're reading a little too far into this. The answer is we don't give a shit what your dress looks like, most women generally don't respond well to that since they're looking for a useful opinion or a compliment. So if you think it looks good then you're probably a better judge then we are, go out in confidence without anyone's opinion to validate your own choices, I mean you obviously dressed yourself well enough to get the guy to begin with

Grauncho 27

You obviously looked NOOOOOOOOO.

Maybe he thinks you look too good and he doesn't want other guys seeing you looking that good?

Doubt it, but way to look on the brightside when all there really is is a dark, ominous blackside. ^_^

Men always take the, "give me your honest opinions" too seriously. Teach him to be respectful, or get a gay bestfriend.

Even proer tip. Sarcasm falls on deaf ears in the FML community.

Unless you have one of the Bastard Inc. sarcastometers to detect it.

You can't type sarcasm. Unless you're skilled but we all know what you really are.