By BuggedinBelgium - 24/09/2015 20:15

Today, my sister and I checked into our cheap hotel in Brussels as part of our month-long Europe trip. At 11pm we awoke to the sound of a mouse chewing through a bag of food we'd bought. At 3am we awoke to bedbugs. We slept in the bathroom. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 055
You deserved it 3 848

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You get what you pay for! Hotels in Europe are definitely more expensive, but the cheap ones are always cheap for a very good reason.

Mouse? Not bad. Bed bugs? The creatures of hell. Don't cheap out next time, OP. Bed bugs are hellacious.

Comments

You get what you pay for! Hotels in Europe are definitely more expensive, but the cheap ones are always cheap for a very good reason.

I say this because I stayed in an array of cheap European hotels for a school trip. In one of them my friend bumped into the shower and it collapsed.

OP should've stayed at a hostel. There's actually a ton of decent hostels for backpackers at a very cheap price, many are 10€ or less.

I agree with hostels, as well as Airbnb. It's an app and you can rent out people's houses or just a room or even just a shared space. My fiancé, and my two best friends and I backpacked Europe this past summer and all we used was Airbnb. It was soooooooo worth it and the prices were about the same as a decent hostel. I highly recommend it!!

I've stayed in a few cheap(ish) hotels (or single rooms in hostels) that have been pretty good. It's all about the research, for instance I'll chose a basic room that everyone says is clean over a slightly bigger one where people have rated the cleanliness lower.

That's crazy 5. I would've busted out laughing though. Poor friend of yours though.

Hostels are actually pretty weird. My boyfriend works at one and says almost everyone there who gets a room are incredibly stupid

ChopSuey444 20

#44, everyone *is* stupid. Not everyone "are" stupid.

Oh christ, that definitely sucks. Hopefully you guys stay at a better hotel soon

ajo123 16

You might be better off staying in a youth hostel? They're cheaper and pretty much always clean. I hope your clothes aren't infected with bedbugs

There really is no hope there. If you slept in an area with bedbugs, you have them. Honestly, I hope OP threw away all her clothes, because if those are brought back home, a home treatment for bedbugs is hella expensive.

Mouse? Not bad. Bed bugs? The creatures of hell. Don't cheap out next time, OP. Bed bugs are hellacious.

Red_Curls1995 28

A mouse I could deal with. Bed bugs? No.

Be very careful about the bedbugs. They can sometimes travel with you and spread. I had them once and it took weeks, many bites, and a lot of money to get read of them. OP, I highly suggest washing everything with you at a commercial laundry mat. They are the only places that get hot enough to kill the bugs. Wash on the hottest setting. Keep washed and unwashed clothes separate. Be careful that the clothes you're wearing don't transfer bugs to the clean clothes.

Use those vacuum/compression clothes bags to store the washed clothes in. They are airtight and thus bug-tight. Get your backbags/suitcases professionally cleaned. Make sure you don't spread the problem by taking potentially bug infested stuff to the next place you stay at!