By evilmuffinlord - 18/06/2013 06:34 - United States - Houston

Today, my parents took my iPad back to the store and exchanged it for two cheap knock off tablets. Reason being my little brother threatened to run away because I had one and he didn't. I bought the iPad on my own after graduation. They kept the difference in price. FML
I agree, your life sucks 65 388
You deserved it 3 980

evilmuffinlord tells us more.

evilmuffinlord 14

hello! OP here. Originally, I was very upset, I hadn't been home when it happened and when I came back I found out. I have since talked to my parents, and found out my mom was the one who did it, but she put the extra money back into my bank account. I do live with my parents until I go off to college. The Ipad was an overzealous purchase, and after messing with the tablet its not so bad. As for my brother, my dad sat him down and talked to him about how it was wrong to do that and he needs to earn stuff, etc etc etc. And his tablet will be returned. So I guess in a sense everything is ok now. xD I wasnt expecting to have this accepted, I didn't even have an account till this morning.

Top comments

Why did you let your parents take it? I wouldn't have given it up without a fight.

saIty 17

Your brother is bluffing. He would come back if he ran away. They always come back.

Comments

Why did you let your parents take it? I wouldn't have given it up without a fight.

They probably took it without OP knowing till after.

If I had something like an ipad then I would probably be using it all the time meaning that I would have it on me at all times so nobody will be able to take it or use it. Also, Op's parents are ******* mean and apparently don't care for him.

plum_lovin 28

Seriously? It seems like your little brother needs a slap in the face because he is a spoiled little crap head. If you parents were going to get him one they should have bought him ONE cheap knock off instead of trading yours. Especially since you bought it yourself.

saIty 17

Your brother is bluffing. He would come back if he ran away. They always come back.

Seriously, I can't believe the parents 1. Took this seriously and 2. Gave in and bought him a gift. That's really shitty parenting, even if they bought the tablet on their own.

They bought the tablet with OP's money

...ermmm yeah which is why 61 said "if". The point = even IF this hadn't involved OP's iPad/money it would still be terrible parenting, rewarding threats/petty jealousy with gifts.....

CookieLovesBoo 16

They don't always come back ..

Annoying spoiled brat came back after running away? Dinkleberg......

149 - The minute they're feeling hungry, they'll be back.

bleedingglitter 24

For real. He would have gotten hungry and hot in Texas and come back to the house. My brother "ran away" like 4 times only to be back like 45 mins later.

LookAttMyyLifee 12

Thats ******. Take back the cheap knockoff tablets & exchange. But why are.you still living with them then ?

If he's going to school, then why not? Or if he's saving up for a place of his own. There are plenty of reasons to live with your parents even after you graduate. Hell, some people don't even turn 18 until a month or so after they graduate, and can therefore be forced to continue living with their parents.

Talia_91 13

Either OP graduated HS and its summer now or College and had lived on campus and is now having to go back home till she finds a job in her career.

loveashlley 6

I graduated from high school in May and I won't be 18 until December so I still have to live at home.

Lizardgirl 7

I graduated on June 2nd, am 18 and a half, and still have to live with my sociopath of a mother through the summer and probably the next few summers until either A. My long term committed boyfriend and I get engaged and live with his family or B. I graduate and can find a job quickly in my career. I'd do almost anything to live on my own but this stupid economy is awful :P

LookAttMyyLifee 12

I meant like why you still living with them if they did this to you ? I didnt vote YDI.

Just because someone can afford an iPad does not mean they can afford rent.

bughug1999 11

Could've meant grade school graduation too.

That's theft since it isn't their property to sell. Really sucks that your parents would do such a thing.

Pretty sure if OP is under 18, it wouldn't be considered theft. If she is is 18 then she could threaten to file charges.

It's theft because OP bought it on their own. Little bro is just a little prick.

This fml and the ones similar really make me angry

Pretty sure if op is graduated it's pretty likely that they're not under 18. Not guaranteed, but likely. You should probably read the FML before replying to comments, as doing so would tell you they're likely an adult and that they bought it with their own money.

118- I was just thinking exactly that. I don't understand what makes some people think they have the right to just do whatever the **** they want. If anyone tried something like this with anything of mine, there would be serious hell to pay.

Qwermy 16

Morally, it's theft, since OP paid for it himself. Unfortunately, if OP is under 18, his property is legally his parents', even if he has a job and earned the money himself. So, regrettably, they have the legal right to be assholes and take his stuff.

deepunder 17

But what about trading her stuff? She got the extra money back but still lost $ on the brothers tablet. Being a younger sibling can get u stuff. I got a phone at age 13 even though my sister got one at 16. All it took was statistical proof that everyone (except those who are to lazy to carry one) has a cellphone. I still paid for it though. Lousy $20. Cellphone didn't have adjustable sound.

Narelon 12

So I can just run up to someone under 18 and steal their shit and it isn't illegal by that logic. If you bought it with your own money, then someone takes it without permission, that's theft.

File a police report, get your property back

Kc1001 14

Yah, that's stealing. but how did they get a hold f your I-pad? and the receipt?

If you're over 18, that's theft (under 18 and it's a gray area). If you're moving out, file a police report. If you're not... the problems it would cause is probably not worth it. Also, even if you are moving out, it might still to be worth the drama the police report causes. Consider your situation with your family and proceed as best you can. I'm sorry for your shitty parents. If you can't get away from your family, guard your possessions, leave nothing of value where they can reach it and don't trust locks. If your parents would so blatantly steal from you, assume they'll cut through locks. When you do get out of your parents' home, don't give them a key to your new place. It's sad, but if they're willing to steal $500+ from you, they clearly don't respect your property. If you give them no opportunity to steal from you, there can be no drama and hopefully you can find a way to get along with them. Good luck.

And that's why kids these days are brats, because parents give in to them. The younger brother should have been told to suck it up and go play outside. FYL

CoolRainbowdash 15

Why do people think that every kid is a brat? Not every kid is one.

lifesucks1217 6

pretty much all kids are these days I blame YouTube and cod

Who, why the child hate? I happen to have to pay for everything (other than food and cheap Walmart clothing) that I want, and haven't complained once. Not all children are "brats".

Seriously 40 you think this kid isn't a brat? I feel sorry for anyone dealing with your future children.

87, 40 said that not every kid is a brat, not that the child in the FML isn't a brat.

To the ones saying not all kids are brats, I never said ALL kids but I am confident enough in knowing the current generation to generalize most of them as brats. It's sad but true. They don't know the worth of things anymore.

CoolRainbowdash 15

77 Oh no so I have a youtube account and the Call if Duties sorry guys I guess im a bitchy little kid... oops

yes! i am so sick of children these days crying because they can't get what they want then have the audacity to go and talk about what others don't have. shoot when I was younger I was glad to play outside or climb a tree

CoolRainbowdash 15

87- they'll be the best kids someone ever met!

jstorie95 8

I'd get the hell out of that household as soon as possible

I swear, everyone on here has assholes for families

Not everyone. I call my collection of brains my family, but to each their own.

They wouldn't be posting fmls about how great their family is.

I was just thinking that, everyone on here has the most horrible parents ever

That is so messed up on a lot of levels... I can't begin to figure how your parents thought that made sense!

Perdition25 12

There are a lot of stupid people out there.

Perdition25 12

Mentally challenged, naturally.

22, no. Mentally challenged people would still know there's no way OP deserved it. Those who sincerely voted YDI are just a special kind of stupid.

Or they think YDI for not standing up for themselves. Wouldn't get it off me without a fight.

This is exactly why I voted YDI. If you don't stand up for yourself in this kind of situation you're going to be a professional victim for the rest of your life. And it doesn't help that this behavior helps to make entitled monster children who grow up into entitled monster adults. If there had been a mention of being grounded for beating the little ***** ass, it would have totally been an FYL.

The OP's parents stole her property and sold it. She deserves it for not being prepared for her parents to STEAL from her? She deserves it for putting a bit of trust in her parents? Get real.

Seriously, 47? I'm with 66, you should be able to trust your parents not to steal your stuff, especially something as expensive as an iPad. Now, if it had happened before, and OP never said or did anything, and didn't learn not to trust them anymore, then maybe I'd agree that it's a YDI. Maybe. But even then I don't think anyone deserves to have such crappy, lying, stealing assholes for parents.