By Schizomaniac - 25/08/2015 17:33 - United States

Today, my cousin's husband argued adamantly that the Earth doesn't rotate, and treated me like an idiot when I explained why he was wrong. Not even a video from space of the Earth rotating convinced him. This idiot is a teacher. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 444
You deserved it 1 770

Schizomaniac tells us more.

Schizomaniac 24

Thankfully he's only a PE teacher. Not to discredit PE teachers, but at least he is not in a position to actually provide information to students. This guy is an absolute nutjob. These are real claims he has argued in the past: -evolution is a lie (no surprise) -dogs are more intelligent than chimpanzees -our most sophisticated equipment can't see outside our galaxy (lol) -humans are the only animals that rely on fruits and vegetables for food And many, many others. He's the type of person to argue with a chef because he read a cookbook. It's sad.

Top comments

Steve97 32

Does he think the earth is flat too?

Well at least you're not related by blood, so that's one good thing.

Comments

Schizomaniac 24

Thankfully he's only a PE teacher. Not to discredit PE teachers, but at least he is not in a position to actually provide information to students. This guy is an absolute nutjob. These are real claims he has argued in the past: -evolution is a lie (no surprise) -dogs are more intelligent than chimpanzees -our most sophisticated equipment can't see outside our galaxy (lol) -humans are the only animals that rely on fruits and vegetables for food And many, many others. He's the type of person to argue with a chef because he read a cookbook. It's sad.

How does your cousin put up with him? I can't stand people like that. Kudos to your cousin.

I have to ask as well: how in the hell does your cousin put up with/find him attractive enough to be married to this guy? I have to walk away from people like this because I get so frustrated/confused at how people still think like this with true information out there just fingertip length away. It just boggles my mind at how some people are just...insane

AnyaS 19

I agree with #69, Sometimes you have to just walk away from people like that. My roommate is like that -- evolution denier, global warming denier... she told me that for all pregnant women who are murdered their deaths are counted as double homicides because abortion is murder and only pro-abortionists don't agree. I tried to be sympathetic because she was raised like this, but considering she's an adult I mostly felt pity.

Might be the wrong time but evolution being a lie could be a starting point for a logical, factually based argument. The rest, not so much...

ribx 16

Evolution is a scientific theory supported by many thousands of experiments and observations, it's not really sometime you can make up on the spot and just tell people it's true

Rectov 10

Global warming has been happening forever, it's inevitable. And so is climate change.theres no physical way to stop it with the resources we have, only SLIGHTLY slow it.

Steve97 32

Those who can't do, teach and those who can't teach, teach gym. -Jack Black

#80 That's also what came to my mind as I read the followup! xD

ExtremeEncounter 32

#76 Evolution is not a theory. Evolution is simply how life changes to better fit its environment, usually over very long periods of time, resulting in drastic changes in species/organisms. The theory of evolution is different from evolution itself. It's the theory OF evolution, not the Evolution Theory.

ExtremeEncounter 32

#73 Oh great, you're one of those. Please, present to us a factually sound argument on why evolution is false and why the evidence we have is inconclusive of i.e. witnessing the evolution of microorganisms.

selective breeding pretty much proves that evolution is a thing, since they operate on the same fundamental: the best genes create better offspring. the only difference is the interference of a sentient intelligence VS Natural Selection.

I wonder if this is the same guy who didn't take the kid's note..

How long until his students catch on and start getting out of PE by starting hour long discussions about random cap? We did that with our chemistry teacher who was an avid feminist and environmentalist. We would just ask her a question that would get her into a rant and the chapter for the day was forgotten.

Actually #70, depending on the state or country, the murder of a pregnant woman (usually only in the third trimester) IS considered a double murder. However, the rest of your roommate's ideas are crazy.

sunny354wi 8
middlenamefrank 8

Evolution IS "just a theory". But for some reason, the word "theory" has been hijacked. Technically, a theory is a proven concept...conversely, a "theorem" or a "conjecture" hasn't yet been proven. For reason surpassing my understanding, people hear "theory" and think "unproven conjecture", when the truth is quite the opposite. The fact that it's called the "theory of evolution" is BECAUSE it's been proven over and over again.

well op.. i know a few teachers and they are the most stuborn people i know. and terrible in having a discussion. but thats also part of being a teacher i guess. anyway... dont argue with him it wont change. however, i am very curiois what his explenation was for the rotating earth video

that would be a law, a theory while yes more concrete then a therom, is still not a proven concept. yes we have seen micro-orgasims exchange genes for better ones we have not seen for example a bacterium evolve into a protozoa and on a larger scale we have not seen a fish evolve into a amphibious creature. these expirements are proof of adaption and only points towards the possibility of evolution as evolution is the change of one species into an other. while I subscribe to evolution as it is possible to go from one species to another over a very long period as complete organisms i also beleive that in intelligent design as our starting point. the possibility of life not only starting and then evolving into the complex lifeforms we see today in such a short amount of time (on a astronomical scale) is improbable. now wether that intelligent being is an alien, god, ourselves from the future, or something else is up for debate.

#142 Actually, theorems have been proven by definition. Conjectures have not.

Hypothesis is unproven. The issue is that people don't understand the scientific meaning of a theory.

I like how you think; I happen to be a Christian who believes in science such as evolution and the Big Bang, but tend to be alone in this thinking. Some people think one can't exist with the other, but I don't get that. How would nature choosing genes to pass on prove God doesn't exist?

I would tell him wow you figured a lot of stuff out but I wouldn't tell anybody about it if they know you know the truth they have to eliminate you should fit right in with him

This individual is an embarrassment to educators straight across the board.

subzero22 8

Don't feel too bad there are people who still think the earth is flat. I'm serious there really are.

corky1992 33

I hope he's not a science teacher.

"Those who can, do, and those who can't, teach."

This is exhibit A on the indictment on our education system, blind leading the blind. How the hell does he think night goes to day? Because we rotate!

No, it's because someone turns the sun on and off. Obviously.

If the earth doesn't spin, I wonder where he thinks we get gravity from